MBBS, MD, Fellow (NMC Regd. 6064)
Consultant, Department of Medical Oncology
Hemato-Oncology and BMT, Sarcomas and other rare tumors, Immunotherapy, Cancer survivorship, Targeted therapy and Cancer Research, Medical Oncology.
Dr. Sharma is a highly dedicated Medical oncologist who completed her Medical Oncology degree in 2014 AD and completed fellowship in Hemato-oncology and Bone marrow and stem cell transplant from USA in the year 2018. With 6 years of experience in the field and having worked in two of the tertiary care centers as medical oncologist -BP Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital (August 2014 – December 2014), Bharatpur, Nepal and Bir Hospital, National Academy of Medical Science(NAMS) (February 2015-December 2015), Kathmandu, Nepal; she continued as Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology, Department of Clinical Oncology, NAMS, Bir Hospital from December 2015 – June 2017. She joined NCHRC in October 2018.
She was awarded full scholarship by China Scholarship council and MOE, Nepal to study
Medical Oncology at Tianjin Medical University, China; IDEA (International Development and Education Award) Award 2016 by ASCO and Conquer cancer Foundation, USA;
Long Term International Fellowship award 2017 by Conquer Cancer
Besides clinical expertise, she also has vast experience in laboratory and clinical research and has been working towards improving research work at our Centre while encouraging new generation of doctors to better understand and undertake research works for up-lifting cancer care as a whole. She is the coordinator of survivorship clinic and vaccination clinic and an active member of pharmacovigilance committee, DVT clinic and nutrition support team at NCHRC and is dedicated to quality patient care. She believes that, with continuous team effort, cancer can be conquered. She believes in team work and her team includes not only clinicians but also researchers as well as nutritionist/dieticians, clinical pharmacists and various support groups including patient’s family and well-wishers. She is also actively involved in organizing and conducting health camps as well as cancer awareness and screening programs. She has hosted/moderated various national and international level cancer conferences held in China and Nepal.
She worked as an organizing committee member (Scientific Committee) and Treasurer for 1st NESMO international conference on immune-oncology, held successfully on 7th July 2019 at Kathmandu, Nepal.
Research work & Publications
- AK Jha and S Sharma. Patients with tonsil problems at NMCTH- a report. Nepal Med Coll J 2008; 10(4): 258-259
- Susmita Sharma, Xiubao Ren, Fang Yan. Revisiting PD-1 and PD-L1/L2 pathway in Non-Small cell Lung Cancer– Review. PMJN _Vol 15_jan_june 2015 (2).
- Research on PD-L1 expression and significance in patients with NSCLC
- A Master’s dissertation done under the guidance of Prof. Dr. Xiubao Ren, PhD, Professor of Biotherapy, Tianjin University Cancer Hospital, Tianjin China.
- Susmita Sharma, Xiubao Ren. PDL1 expression and its significance in Chinese patients with non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 34, 2016
- Sandhya C. Acharya, Rashmey Pun, Susmita Sharma: Factors contributing delays during management of Lung Cancer: A study from tertiary level hospital in Nepal: Paper accepted and presented as poster presentation at IASLC 17th World Conference on Lung Cancer (IASLC WCLC 2016) ,Vienna, Austria ,2016:December 4-7.
- Sharma S, Sweetenham J. Mantle cell lymphoma – are new therapies changing the standard of care? EMJ Oncol. 2018; 6:109-119.
- Sharma.S, Shrestha.S, Ghimire.B, Shakya.S. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors- Limited experience from private tertiary level cancer center in Kathmandu- a prospective study. Poster presentation at SFON international conference, Kathmandu: 2019 December 13-14
- Sharma.S, Shrestha.S, Ghimire.B, Shakya.S. Delayed Diagnosis and Miracle recovery- A Lung Cancer Case report. Poster presentation at SFON international conference, Kathmandu: 2019 December 13-14.
- Adhikari N, Sharma S, Kattel R .Empowering nursing staff in pain management: A single institute experience. Poster presentation at SFON international conference, Kathmandu: 2019 December 13-14.
- Kattel R, Sharma S, Adhikari N. A pilot Study: promoting knowledge of nurses in caring Adult patients with Cancer at their end of life. Poster presentation at SFON international conference, Kathmandu: 2019 December 13-14.
- Shakya S, Shrestha , Ghimire BR, Sharma S, Rajbhandary S, Tiwari S. Treatment related issues among Nepalese breast cancer survivors. Poster presentation at SFON international conference, Kathmandu: 2019 December 13-14.
- Sharma S, Couriel. D. Variations in Busulfan Pharmacokinetics and Patients Outcome. Paper accepted for oral presentation at 2020 KSH International Conference & the 61st Annual Meeting, hosted by the Korean Society of Hematology (KSH).
- Research on Factors leading to Busulfan dose modifications in patients receiving Hematopoietic stem cell transplant and the effect of significant dose modifications on outcome – Completed Research.
- Oral Presentation at National level conference organized by department of Clinical Oncology, Bir Hospital and SFON at Kathmandu on 11th May 2016 on topic “Infection prophylaxis during cancer chemotherapy”
- Founder member/life member and Treasurer of Nepalese Society of Medical Oncology (NESMO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)