MBBS, MD, FRCP(Edin.) (NMC Regd. 1574)
Executive Chairman, Senior Consultant, Department of Medical Oncology
Dr Shrestha started his journey in the medical field back in 1985 AD, when he started his MBBS from Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), University of Madras, India. He trained his MD in Internal Medicine at Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal and Post Graduate Training in Medical Oncology at Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Center, New Delhi, India.
Gathering a lot of experience and respect in the field over the years, he has been actively involved since the establishment of Bhaktapur Cancer Hospital (2nd cancer hospital in Nepal) to present day, where he is working hard as the Executive Chairman of Nepal Cancer Hospital and Research Center to bring the state-of-the-art technology for treating cancer all under one roof.
Before NCHRC, Dr. Shrestha worked as Medical Director and Head of Department(HOD) of Medical Oncology in Bhaktapur Cancer Hospital, helped establish and run this important public hospital. He also played an instrumental role to establish Om Cancer Care Centre, the dedicated cancer care wing of a popular private hospital in Nepal. His passion for comprehensive cancer care has led him to envision and set up many organizations dedicated to academic, palliative or other aspects of cancer care. As founding president, he provided the vision and energy for the establishment of Nepalese Association of Palliative Care (NAPCare, 2009) and the Nepal Cancer Support group (NCSG, 2009).
As the country’s one of the leading experts on cancer, he has been involved in numerous cancer activities as speaker, teacher, organizer, researcher and founder. He has also been working as a resource person for Nepal Network for Cancer Treatment and Research (NNCTR) for its community empowering activities like “Trainer for the trainer programme” and also Nursing staff training programme of various hospitals in the country, on cancer.
Dr. Shrestha continues being bold and visionary in tackling cancer in Nepal, and wants to help make cancer treatment and control, a part of the country’s national health policy, and help cover cancer patients under a national health insurance policy. His vision is to be able to treat all the cancer patients of Nepal in Nepal itself. Hence NCHRC’s slogan is “Cancer care for Nepalese within Nepal” (Nepali ko cancer ko upachar Nepal ma nai).
- Capecitabine: Single institution experience from North India in metastatic breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 22(14_suppl):815-815 · July 2004. ( https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/jco.2004.22.90140.815 )
- “Carcinoma Gall Bladder : An Institutional Experience.” JNMA; journal of the Nepal Medical Association 45(164):342-6 · October 2006. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17676069).
- “Palliative Care Development: The Nepal Model”, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol. 33 No. 5 May 2007. (https://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924(07)00111-X/pdf )
- Deep Seated thoracic and abdominal lesions usefulness of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology, a 3 yr experience.” J Nep Med Assoc March 2010. (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a045/e96716a44a1cba912a8584fe433382309c65.pdf
- Published article as an expert commentary : “Challenges and Solutions for Developing Palliative Care in Nepal;” Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium Daily News Archive, October 9, 2015. ASCO. (http://pallonc.org/challenges-and-solutions-developing-palliative-care-nepal)
- “Epidemiology and clinical profile of breast cancer in central Nepal” : poster presentation on 3rd World Congress on Women’s Health and Breast Cancer” , October 03-05, 2016 London, UK.
- “Problems of Breast Cancer Survivors Living in an Urban Area of Nepal” Asia‐Paci c Journal of Oncology Nursing • Jul‐Sep 2016 • Vol 3 • Issue 3 http://www.apjon.org/article.asp?issn=2347-5625;year=2016;volume=3;issue=3;spage=289;epage=296;aulast=Sapkota;type=0 )
- Epidemiology and Clinical Profile of Breast Cancer in Central Nepal, Annals of Breast Cancer Research: Ann Breast Cancer Res 1(1): 1005 (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f41b/80dd8bdb2f98f7cd3ee4b2b302afeddbe754.pdf )
- Social support, quality of life and mental health status in breast cancer patients: Research Article: Cancer Rep Rev, 2017 (https://www.oatext.com/pdf/CRR-1-107.pdf )
- “Macula Erythematous Rash Due to Temozolomide Involving Head and Neck Region Only” March 2018 (https://symbiosisonlinepublishing.com/pharmacovigilance/pharmacovigilance21.php )
- “Adverse Drug Reaction due to Cancer Chemotherapy and its Financial Burden in Different Hospitals of Nepal:” International journal of Pharmacovigilance; (http://dx.doi.org/10.15226/2476-2431/2/1/00114) Published: April 18, 2017
- “Can clinical pharmacists bridge a gap between medical oncologists and patients in resource-limited oncology settings? An experience in Nepal” (Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice 25(3):765–768 · June 2018 ( https://doi.org/10.1177/1078155218784734 )
- “Establishment of the first cancer hospital-based pharmacovigilance center in Nepal” Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 14(11) · July 2018. ( https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2018.07.017)
- 09-09 “Prevalence of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Mutation in Non-Small Cell Carcinoma Lungs at a Cancer Center in Nepal” Journal of Thoracic Oncology 13(10):S950-S951 · October 2018. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2018.08.1778)
- “Establishment of the hemovigilance system in an oncology-based hospital of Nepal: A new starting in the field of blood transfusion in limited resource settings.” (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330124674_Establishment_of_the_hemovigilance_system_in_an_oncology-based_hospital_of_Nepal_A_new_starting_in_the_field_of_blood_transfusion_in_limited_resource_settings.) Dec 2018. (DOI: 10.2478/medu-2018-0008)
- “ASCO Guideline report: Palliative Care in the Global Setting—ASCO Resource-Stratified Practice Guideline.” Journal of Clinical Oncology 36(34_suppl):85-85 · December 2018. (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330124674_Establishment_of_the_hemovigilance_system_in_an_oncology-based_hospital_of_Nepal_A_new_starting_in_the_field_of_blood_transfusion_in_limited_resource_settings )
- “Establishment and Achievements of Drug and Therapeutic Committee at the Oncology-Based Hospital of Nepal.” INDIAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACY PRACTICE 12(1):41-44 · February 2019 (https://ijopp.org/sites/default/files/InJPharPract-12-1-41.pdf )
- Polypharmacy in elderly cancer patients cancer patients Professional Qualification: Review article (researchgate.net/publication/331093128) March 2019 (DOI: 10.1002/agm2.12051 )
- “Workshop on proposal writing on research for health care professionals: a brief report”: Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. Volume 12:565-572 · July 2019.(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331093128_Polypharmacy_in_elderly_cancer_patients_Challenges_and_the_way_clinical_pharmacists_can_contribute_in_resource-limited_settings ) (DOI: 10.2147/JMDH.S211257 )
- Medical Council of Tamil Nadu, India.
- Medical Council of Nepal.
- Life Member of Nepal Medical Association
- Life member of Society of Internal Medicine of Nepal (SIMON)
- Life member of SAARC Federation of Oncology, Nepal.
- Life member of Nepal Oncology society (NEONS).
- Rotarian “ Rotary club of Yala” District 3292, Nepal
- Executive member of Society of Internal Medicine of Nepal (SIMON) for 2002 to 2004 and 2005 to 2007, 2007 to 2009.
- Founder President Nepal Cancer support group (NCSG 2010)
- Founder President and Vice president Nepalese Palliative care group (NAPCare 2009)
- Served as president for NAP Care for 2012- 2014.
- Adviser, Richa Bajimaya Memorial foundation.
- Executive member and Scietific committee Chairman SAARC Federation of Oncology- Nepal Chapter (SFO-N): for 2012-2016.
- Council member from Nepal ACOS (Asian Clinical oncology society)
- Member of an expert panel charged with the development of a Resource Stratified Guideline on Palliative Care in Global Settings: ASCO; in the year 2016.
- Member of European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Member Technical working committee for National Cervical Cancer Screening and prevention implementation plan 1916-20.