Dr. Rishav Koirala is a Consultant Psychiatrist and a researcher. He established the first Psycho-oncology Clinic of Nepal at our hospital, and opened psych oncology clinic in two more centers. He is currently pursuing his PhD on effects of trauma from University of Oslo, Norway. He is deeply committed to improving this subspecialty in the country. He is the executive manager of Brain and Neuroscience Center (BANC) Nepal. He has worked as the focal person for Mental Health in WHO for Nepal, and is the Associate Professor at People’s Medical College and Advisor for Transcultural Psychosocial Organization Nepal. He held the post of Joint Treasurer of the Psychiatrist’s Association of Nepal and has worked in several remote areas of Nepal in promotion of community psychiatry.
Specialized Area: Psycho-oncology, Trauma and Stress Related Disorder, Addiction Psychiatry
Interest: Yoga, Traditional Healing, Anthropology of Mental Health
Experience and Services: Practicing in the field of mental health since 2011.
Professional Membership: Lifetime member of Nepal Medical Council, Psychiatrist Association of Nepal, Norway Nepal Medical Society; Member of American Psychiatric Association.
- Koirala R, Søegaard EGI, Ojha SP, Hauff E, Thapa SB (2020) Trauma related psychiatric disorders and their correlates in a clinical sample: A cross-sectional study in trauma affected patients visiting a psychiatric clinic in Nepal. PLOS ONE 15(6): e0234203. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0234203
- Pham, T.V., Koirala, R., Wainberg, M.L. et al. Reassessing the Mental Health Treatment Gap: What Happens if We Include the Impact of Traditional Healing on Mental Illness?. Community Ment Health J (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-020-00705-5
- Pham, T.V., Koirala, R. & Kohrt, B.A. Traditional and biomedical care pathways for mental well‐being in rural Nepal. Int J Ment Health Syst 15, 4 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13033-020-00433-z
- Pham, T.V., Kaiser, B.N., Koirala, R. et al. Traditional Healers and Mental Health in Nepal: A Scoping Review. Cult Med Psychiatry (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11013-020-09676-4
- Pham, T.V., Koirala, R. and Kohrt, B.A. (2020), Satisfaction in the Soul: Common Factors Theory Applied to Traditional Healers in Rural Nepal. Ethos, 48: 93-128. https://doi.org/10.1111/etho.12263
- Erik Ganesh Iyer Søegaard, Zhanna Kan, Rishav Koirala, Edvard Hauff & Suraj Bahadur Thapa (2020) Variations in psychiatric morbidity between traumatized Norwegian, refugees and other immigrant patients in Oslo, Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 74:6, 390-399, DOI: 10.1080/08039488.2020.1714724