MBBS, MD (NMC Regd. 2634)
Associate Professor, Senior Consultant Radiation Oncologist
Dr Acharya did his MD from Tver state Medical Academy, Tver, Russia (1998) and MD in (Radiation Oncology) from National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS), Kathmandu, Nepal (2007). He has undergone numerous trainings in India (Tata Memorial Center, Mumbai; Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Center, New Delhi), Kansas University Cancer Center (Kansas, USA), Tokyo metropolitan Komagome Hospital (Tokyo, Japan), and short-term courses in UK (Arden Cancer Center, Coventry), Thailand (Siriraj hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok), Singapore (National Cancer Institute), USA (MD Anderson Cancer center), Australia (Peter MacCallum cancer Centre, Melbourne) and Japan (Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma). He has presented many papers at national and international conferences including St Gallen EORTC Gastrointestinal Cancer Conference 2014, St Gallen Switzerland and AAHPM and HPNA Annual Assembly 2016, Chicago, USA.
He has been working as a senior consultant radiation oncologist and heading the Department of clinical oncology, NAMS, Bir hospital since 2015. He is involved in academic programs at NAMS and is the Associate professor and the Coordinator of the MD Radiation Oncology residency program since February 2015. He also has worked at B P Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital from November 2009 to July 2011.
He has taken many responsibilities in different posts in the given timeline. He was the National Project Coordinator (of Nepal) of RAS 6072 project IAEA Vienna, Austria (2014-2017), and still the National Project coordinator (of Nepal) of RAS 6086 Project IAEA, Vienna, Austria for the year 2018-2021. He has been invited as the chairperson in many scientific meetings aboard and played a key role in organizing many scientific meetings within the country. He is the keen teacher, learner and researcher.
Head and Neck, Lung, breast, and gynecological malignancies.
- Acharya B, Manandhar T, Jha AK. Effects of Concurrent Chemoradiation Therapy in Patients with Locally Advanced Unresectable Head and Neck Cancer. PMJN 2008; 8 (1): 78-84
- Acharya B, Jha AK, Shrestha S, Karn A, Paudel S. Atypical Carcinoid Tumour of Larynx. PMJN 2008; 8(2): 123-126
- Acharya B, Jha AK, Shrestha S, Karn A, Paudel S, Bhandari RB, Chaurasia PP. Orbital Rhabdomyosarcoma: Treatment modalities. PMJN 2009; 9(1): 44-48
- Karn A, Jha AK, Shrestha S, Acharya B, Poudel S, Bhandari RB.Tamoxifen for Breast Cancer. J Nepal Med Assoc 2010, 49(177): 62-67
- Acharya B, Jha AK, Shrestha S, Karn A, Bhandari RB, Poudel S, Sharma S, Neupane P. Rectal malignancies in B. P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital: A 10-year experience. J Clin Oncol 28, 2010 (suppl; abstr e14127)
- Narayanan VK, Acharya B, Chaurasia PP, Gautam DK. Iridium Implantation in T1 and T2 Cancers of Anterior Tongue: Report from B. P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, Nepal. International Journal of Medical Physics, Clinical Engineering and Radiation Oncology, 2012, 1: 73-77
- Acharya B, Jha AK, Paudel B, Neupane P, Shrestha S, Karn A, Poudel S, Chapagain S, Pandit S. Audit of rectal cancer in a tertiary cancer hospital of Nepal. PMJN 2012; 12(2): 9-15
- Piya MK, Pun R, Acharya B, Karn A. Lung cancer in Nepal. In: Parikh PM, Editor, Lung cancer 2012, Academic wing of the Association of Physicians of India. Indian college of physicians
- Acharya B, Chapagain S, Karn A, Paudel BD. P7 A single institution’s experience in rectal cancer. European Journal of Cancer. 2014 Mar 1;50:S11.
- Baral S, Adhikari A, Pandit S, Silwal S, Acharya B, Shah A, Jha AK. Five Versus 6 Fractions Per Week of Radiation Therapy in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck. International Journal of Radiation Oncology• Biology• Physics. 2014 Sep 1;90(1):S180.
- Adhikari KP, Shah A, Acharya B, Karn A, Chapagain S. Acceptance testing, commissioning and quality assurance for a Nucletron 192IR HDR brachytherapy afterloader at NAMS, Bir hospital. Scientific world, 2014, 12(12): 85-88
- Acharya SC, Karn A, Acharya B, Paudel BD. Multiple myeloma treated with single agent dexamethasone. Journal of Kathmandu Medical College. 2015;4(1):26-8.
- Gautam D, Acharya B. Transitional Cell Carcinoma of Ovary: A Rare Case Report. PMJN 2017; 17(1): 47-49.
- Bhusal S, Acharya B, Chapagain S. Plasmablastic Lymphoma. JNMA 2017;56 (206): 271-73
- Acharya B, Khanal B. Carotid body tumor mimicking cervical lymph node tuberculosis: A case report. PMJN 2019 (1): 51-53
- Dulal S, Paudel BD, Shah A, Acharya B, Acharya SC. Delay in diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal cancer in Nepal. J clin Oncol 37, 2019 (suppl; abstr e 18269)
- Dulal S, Paudel BD, Neupane P, Shah A, Acharya B, Poudyal BS, Shilpakar R, Wood LA. Randomized Phase II Trial to Compare the Efficacy of Haloperidol and Olanzapine in the Control of Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea and Vomiting in Nepal. Journal of global oncology. 2019 Apr;5:1-6.
- Comparison of the effectiveness of oral morphine versus oral tramadol on early pain control in opioid-naive patients with moderate cancer pain. Shilpakar R, Paudel BD, Neupane P, Shah A, Acharya B, Dulal S, Wood LA, Poudel B, Poudyal BS. Abstract published in Journal of Clinical Oncology. ASCO Annual meeting abstracts 2019. ASCO 2019 Merit award.
- Shilpakar R, Paudel BD, Neupane P, Shah A, Acharya B, Dulal S, Wood LA, Shahi R, Khanal U, Poudyal BS. Procalcitonin and c-reactive protein as markers of bacteremia in patients with febrile neutropenia who receive chemotherapy for acute leukemia: A prospective study from Nepal. Journal of global oncology. 2019 Sep;5:1-6.
- Dulal S, Paudel B, Shah A, Neupane P, Acharya B, Chapagain S, Karn A, Shilpakar R, Thapa R, Gautam B, Brustugun OT. EP1. 01-40 Outcome of EGFR-Mutated and Non-Mutated Lung Adenocarcinoma Receiving Standard Therapy-A Nepalese Cohort. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2019 Oct 1;14(10):S927.
- Dulal S, Paudel B, Shah A, Neupane P, Acharya B, Chapagain S, Rayamajhi A, Thapa R, Brustugun OT, Leighl N. EP1. 01-30 Clinico-Pathological Profile of Adenocarcinoma of the Lung–A Prospective Study in a Nepalese Population. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2019 Oct 1;14(10):S924-5.
- Shilpakar R, Paudel B, Glode M, Shah A, Dulal S, Acharya B, Neupane P. P1. 16-19 Understanding Physician Barriers in the Management of Lung Cancer in Nepal. Can Educational Intervention Make a Difference? Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2019 Oct 1;14(10):S594.
- Shrestha R, Acharya B. Comparative Study of Treatment Response and Toxicity of Four Field Box Technique Versus Two Field Technique External Beam Radiotherapy in Locally Advanced Carcinoma Cervix. Nepalese Journal of Cancer. 2019 Oct 11;3(1):28-34.
- Sah SK, Karn A, Shah A, Paudel BD, Adhikari K, Acharya B, Chapagain S. Incidence and attributes of chemotherapy induced myelotoxicity, anemia and neutropenia in adults with cancer in Nepal: A cross-sectional observational study. Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice. 2019 Dec;25(8):1823-30.
- Dulal S, Paudel BD, Neupane PC, Acharya B, Acharya SC, Shilpakar R, Paudel B, Acharya A, Thapa RR, Martin MG. Time delay barriers in diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal cancer in Nepal. J clin Oncol 38, 2020 (suppl; abstr e 19085)
- Acharya B, Rayamajhi A, Adhikari KP. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Cancer Screening Among Health Care Professionals in A Central Hospital in Nepal. J Can Res Adv Ther 2020,1(2): 01-08.
- Acharya B, Rayamajhi A. Imaging Modalities in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck: A Review Article. J Can Res Adv Ther 2020;1(2): 19-23.
- Dulal S, Paudel BD, Wood LA, Neupane P, Shah A, Acharya B, Shilpakar R, Chapagain S, Karn A, Poudel B, Thapa RR, Acharya A, Martin MG. Reliance on Self-Medication Increase Delays in Diagnosis and Management of GI Cancers: Results from Nepal. JCO Global Oncol. 2020 Aug; 6:1258-1263
- Acharya B, Rayamajhi A. Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Review Article. PMJN 2020; 20 (1): 66-75
- Nepal Medical Association: Life member
- Nepalese Association of Radiation Oncologists (NESTRO): Vice president
- Prevent Cancer Nepal (PRECAN): Secretary General
- SAARC Federation of Oncologists-Nepal (SFO-N): Ex-Secretary General
- Tara Bahadur Khatri Cancer Trust: Ex-Vice-president
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO): member
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO): member