Department of Medical Oncology at Nepal Cancer Hospital & Research Centre Pvt. Ltd has been providing quality services since the initiation of the this hospital. It started with opening of Day Care Services in 2014 the services has now expanded and now covers a very varied clinical spectrum and offers the highest quality and advanced oncology care in a supportive and compassionate environment to all our patients for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancers through the protocol-based approach and innovative research.
Our mission is to attain excellence in clinical and basic research, and cancer treatment through multidisciplinary collaboration with surgical and radiation oncology specialists. Our patients are taken care by highly qualified and experienced team of Medical Oncologists, Pediatric Oncologists, Hemato Oncologist, Clinical Pharmacists and dedicated Trained Nursing facilities having an in-house Nursing Education Unit.
Patients treated by Medical Oncology ward
2015 A.D: 1255 new patients
2016 A.D:1494 new patients
2017 A.D: 1834 new patients
2018 A.D: 868 new patients
2019 A.D: 2900 new patients
2020 A.D: 1360 new patients
Services in Medical Oncology department includes:
Medical oncology services has been taken care by specialist medical oncologists. Unit I is headed by Dr.SudipShreastha / Dr. Sachin Shakya and Team. Unit II is headed by Dr. Bijesh Raj Ghimire and Team. And deals with cancer prevention and cancer screening followed by head and neck cancers, cancers of thoracic cavity, cancers of gastrointestinal tract, cancers of genitourinary tract, gynecologic cancers, cancers of breast, cancers of endocrine system, cancers of musculoskeletal system, cancers of skin, Neoplasms of the center nervous system, Hematological malignancies, cancers of unknown primary and other cancers.
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology unit
- Deals with all types of childhood cancers in child friendly environment with care from highly qualified senior pediatric oncologist.
- This unit runs FREE services for poor pediatric patients referred from KantiBal Hospital for intervention diagnosis under project called “Sarathi”.
Haemato oncology unit
- Deals with all types of blood cancers with care from highly qualified Hemato-oncologist.
- Facility of world class Isolated Neutropenic Ward which take cares of neutropenic patients.
Day care unit
- Specialized well furnished, patients and visitors friendly day care units along with the facilities of lounge chemo wards are available to serve day care patients as well as short term chemo infusion patients.
- This unit runs from 7am to 7 pm from Sunday to Friday with standby Registrar Medical Oncologist, Medical officer and Nurses to care of patients.
- This service is established with mission to control the symptoms of cancer patients through holistic care addressing psychological, social and spiritual aspects.
- To improve the quality of life of cancer patients.
- Offer a support system to help patients live as actively as possible till end of life.
- We are providing special pain clinic facility to the patients with the help of Expert physicians and nurses for adequate management of Pain.
- This clinic runs 6days a week (Sunday to Saturday), from 11am to 3pm.
- Interventional pain management runs 3 days a week (Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday, from 4pm to 6 pm.
- It is established to make difference in the lives of the individual cancer patients by offering community based health care solution.
- Home care service is provided through expert Physicians and Nurses.
- Services that we provide at home care are, wound care/ pressure sore care / lymphedema care, PICC and PORT line dressing, Injection G-CSF administration, blood sample collection, Intravenous fluid and medicine administrations and total patients care.
Emergency department service
- 24 hours a day and seven days a week, we provide emergency services for all patients along with stand by Doctors and Nurses.
- Our department provides the video conference (telemedicine) facilities with Global Hospitals for the purpose of second opinion regarding diseases of our patients & with remote and international patients for further diagnosis and interaction.
- Telemedicine services ensure that our patients can benefit from the best international expertise in cancer.
- Tumor Board (Multispecialty Clinic)whereexperts from Medical, Surgical and Radiation Oncology as well as Radiology, Pathology and all concerned allied specialties comes together and discuss difficult cases to formulate a multimodality treatment plan regarding the disease.
- Tumor board runs once a weak every Wednesday at sharp 3 pm.
- Our mission is to achieve excellence in cancer treatment through multidisciplinary approach collaboration with surgical and radiation oncology specialists.
- All the new cases are discussed with Multi-Disciplinary team before initiation of any treatment.
- Medical oncologist will plan for chemo protocols as per standard NCCN, ESMO and Australian chemo guidelines.
- Chemo mixing is done in Bio safety Cabinet along with HEPA-filtered.
- There is a facility for patients and visitors to watch chemo mixing process live on TV outside the mixing cabin.
Proper Checking and Documentation
- Proper Checking and documentation of verification helps assure all aspects of the process of treatment are completed so that administration of chemotherapy can be as safe as possible.
- Documenting chemotherapy administration assures patients safety.
Cytotoxic Drug Transport
- Delivery of cytotoxic medicines to the wards and day care centers within the hospital by well-trained expert personnel.
- All cytotoxic drugsare well packaged, stored and transported in such a way to prevent from breakage and spill.
Cytotoxic Spill Management
- To ensure safe management of cytotoxic drugs, spill management procedure is practiced where registered and skilled nurses are involved.
- Cytotoxic drug spill kits are readily available to personnel involved in the transport of cytotoxic drugs.
- We have Clinical Pharmacist services who will assure you about proper reconstitution and dilution of chemo and other drugs, drug safety and adverse drug reactions, ensuring the appropriateness, effectiveness for administration.
- Neutropenic Care and Management:
- Neutropenic Policy developed at NCHRC has been monumental in creating awareness and managing patients with Neutropenia at NCHRC.
- G-CSF Services
- Department of Medical Oncology in collaboration with NCSG provided G-CSF free of cost to more than 500 patients in the year of 2019.
- Infection Control Program:
- NCHRC gives utmost priority to IPC practices. It has allocated dedicated staff and promotes IPC practices vigorously in the entire hospital. It has conducted national and various institutional level programs throughout the year.
- Targeted therapy and Immunotherapy:
- Medical Oncology is an ever changing and challenging field. The last decade Oncology practices has changed phenomenally with the addition of targeted and Immunotherapy agents. NCHRC has been a pioneer in the early use and advocact of Immunotherarpy practices and hopes to expand this service in the coming future.
- Internal Medicine Other Subspeciality Services:
- NCHRC has a diverse set of patients with diverse ailments which we know needs not only Oncology services but services from experts in other subspecialities as well. We have a dedicated team of specialists in Pulmunology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Nephrology, Psychology and other fields of medicine who constantly care for patients.
- Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine
- Gastroenterology and Endoscopy Services
- Cardiology and Echocardiography
- Endocrinology Services
- Psycho-Oncology Services
- Oncogenetic Services
- Internist Service
- Dietetics and Nutrition:
- An entire Unit is dedicated to manage and counsel patients on food intake and energy requirements. NCHRC provides food to all of its inpatients and patient’s food and intake habits are documented to provide an overall healthy diet during and after treatment.
Additional facilities includes:
- Vaccination clinic: Which runs 6days a week (Sunday to Saturday), from 11am to 3pm.
Intravenous access of devices
- A peripherally inserted central catheter PICC line and Chemo port insertion which is done routinely to provide intravenous access for the delivery of chemotherapy, blood transfusions, total parenteral nutrition and other medications.
- We have dedicated health persons for insertion and taking care of device.
Preventive Services and Awareness camps.
Cancer Screening Program
DVT (Deep vein thrombosis) clinic
- Prevention, Diagnosis, Management and Follow up of DVT cases regularly.
Survival sepsis guidelines
- Dedicated sepsis management protocol according to survival sepsis guidelines for better cure of sepsis management.
- Establish and Develop Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation Unit.
- Train and Promote Specialist Onco Nurses.
Human resources(Full Time):
Department is headed by DrSudipShrestha. MD, Senior Consultant Medical Oncologist followed by:
Senior Consultant Medical Oncologists – 2
Consultant Medical Oncologists- 1
Asst. Consultant Medical Oncologists – 3
Senior Consultant Pediatric Oncologist – 1
Asst. Consultant Pediatric Oncologist – 1
Consultant Hemato-Oncologist – 1
Clinical Pharmacist – 2
Specialist Medical Onco Nurses- 6
Trained chemo mixing technicians- 3