Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Nepal Cancer Hospital and Research Center has responsibilities to provide fi nal diagnosis, evaluation for different prognostic & predictive markers including supportive services at the time of treatment and assessment for recurrent or persistent disease at the time of follow ups. The team of pathologists and other specialities in the department work in a multidisciplinary approach within the hospital along with telepathology consultation services abroad
with reputed senior pathologists of various international hospitals in specifi c fi eld on regular basis. The department has fully automatic, modern and sophisticated equipment manned by highly trained and experienced pathologists and laboratory personnel.
Various services offered in the department of Pathology are as
1. Histopathology & Cytopathology Unit
- Examination of minor biopsies and surgical specimens
- Performing special stains like Periodic Acid Schiff (PAS), Mucicarmine and Masson trichrome (MT) when needed
- Frozen section facility on regular basis for per-operative diagnosis and further management
- Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) including USG or CT guided FNAC aided by ROSE technique for sample adequacy and sample triaging for cell block preparation and ancillary testing
- Cytological tests such as PAP smear, bronchial brush cytology and body fl uids examination like pleural, peritoneal and cerebrospinal fl uids
2. Hematology unit
- Routine hematological tests, Peripheral Blood Smear (PBS)
- Bone marrow examination for diagnosis of hematological abnormalities (Bone marrow aspiration, clot examination and bone marrow biopsies)
3. Microbiology unit
- Culture and sensitivity, serological tests and fungal tests including other related clinical pathological tests
4. Biochemistry unit
- Routine biochemical tests including Liver function tests, renal function tests, Lipid profi le etc backed up by fully automatic analyzer
- Hormonal tests like Thyroid function tests etc
- Serum tumor markers for cancer management
5. Transfusion unit
- Whole blood storage, grouping and cross matching
Academic and research activities
- Pathologists are an integral member of the multidisciplinary NCH&RC tumor board meeting held every week and are playing a vital role in patient management.
- Pathologists and lab personnel in the department are in active participation in various conferences, presentations, cancer awareness programmes.
- Staff in the department are actively involved in teaching and training of students posted from various health institutions.
- Department is actively involved in the Infection control programme of the hospital.
- Various research activities are being conducted in the department in collaboration with other different departments.
The department is in the process of incorporating immunohistochemistry, fl ow cytometry, molecular pathology and biobanking.
At present twenty two staff are involved in providing services in the department of Pathology including one senior consultant pathologist, two consultant pathologist, one pathology registrar, one clinical biochemist, two technologists, one senior technician, nine technicians, one offi ce assistant, two receptionist and two attendants.
We provide emergency services 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Other services for both inpatients and outpatients are provided Sunday through Friday.